M.2 WWAN Modem break-out board kit
This is a break-out board for M.2 (NGFF) type cellular / WWAN modems, such as modern LTE/LTE-A and upcoming 5G modems.
It allows you to insert a M.2 modem from any vendor, and it will provide you with:
- micro USB B 3 socket for connection to a USB Host (like your PC/Laptop or Embedded System)
- cable + adapter to connect modem PCIe lane to PCIe x1 slot of a host computer (PC)
- 5V DC input for power supply (USB supply usually insufficient for a modem)
- unused M.2 pins on a 2.54mm break-out header
- SIM card slot for a 2FF-sized SIM, USIM or RUIM card
- second SIM card slot for modems with dual-SIM support
- Jumpers to control PERST, W_DIS, GPS_DIS and RESET lines of modem
- three on-board SMA sockets + MHF4 sockets + jumper cables for attaching Antennas with proper strain relief (as opposed to classic pigtails)
Particularly the break-out header is useful to get access to various signals exported in a non-standard fashion by some modem models, such as digital audio PCM.
The product does not include a 5V DC power supply nor SIM cards or a mPCIe modem. Please see below product links should you want a power supply and/or USB cable included:
You can find more information about this open hardware project at https://osmocom.org/projects/ngff-breakout/wiki
- sysmocom product page
- Data Sheet (PDF)
- git repository with all design files
- Schematics (PDF)
- Component Placement (PDF)
- BOM (gnumeric)
All parts on this board are rated for full industrial temperature range (-40..85 Centigrade), although no environmental testing at extreme temperatures has been performed.
If you're looking for a similar product for modems in miniPCIe form factor, pleas see the similar miniPCIe WWAN Modem break-out board.